HP Technology at WorkThe must read IT business eNewsletter
22 ways to work quicker on your computer
Work, family, friends and a few hours for yourself? Sometimes it seems impossible to fit everything in one day. If you are looking to spend less time at your computer and more time somewhere else, check out these clever keyboard shortcuts.
Windows of opportunity
If you often work with several windows open simultaneously, you’ll save valuable minutes using these quick key options.
1. To minimize a window to your toolbar, press ALT, SPACEBAR and N.
2. To maximize a window to your full screen, hit ALT, SPACEBAR, X.
3. To reduce the size of a window without hiding it, press ALT, SPACEBAR, R.
4. To close a window, hit ALT and F4.
5. To go to the last window you had open, simultaneously click ALT and TAB.
6. To select one window when you have several open, hold down ALT, and maneuver by clicking TAB to the window you want.
To speed up Excel
You can easily accelerate your spreadsheet skills with these handy tricks.
7. To move right to left, cell by cell, hit TAB.
8. To move up and down, cell by cell, press ENTER.
9. To delete data in a cell, use the BACKSPACE.
10. To enter a formula, press = (equals sign).11. To enter a date, hit CTRL and ; (semicolon).
12. To enter a time, press CTRL and SHIFT and : (colon).
13. To do a quick spell check, press F7.
14. To change numbers to dollars, click CTRL, SHIFT and $.
15. To make figures a percentage, press CTRL, SHIFT and %.
Working with words
If you are using Microsoft® Word, check out these handy shortcuts:
16. To create a new document, click Ctrl and N.
17. To close a document, click Ctrl and W.
18. To preview what you are about to print, hit Alt, Ctrl and I.
19. To print a document, press Ctrl and P.
Faster folder and files
You can speed up your desktop driving with these tips.
20. Having trouble finding something on your desktop? Select any file, folder or desktop icon, then type the first letter of the item that you are looking for. The item will be highlighted. If there are several items starting with the same letter, keep clicking the letter until the one you are looking for is highlighted.
21. To rename a file or folder, simply click on it and press F2. You can now type in a new name.
22. To bring up the START menu, press CTRL and ESC.
Extra time for you!
The more you use the above shortcuts, the quicker you will become. You’ll increase your productivity and decrease the time you spend at your keyboard when you’d rather be doing something else!
Recommendations in this article should only be applied to devices that you own or manage yourself. If you are part of an enterprise organization, please verify that these recommendations are compatible with your internal IT standards prior to applying them.
Microsoft is a trademark of the Microsoft group of companies.
For more information
Microsoft Windows XP Keyboard Shortcuts
HP Microsoft Word 2007: introduction course
HP Microsoft Excel 2007: introduction course